Sunday, August 30, 2009

Getting Wood - A Fall Time Tradition



Getting Wood. It seems to be a Fall Family Tradition. I remember going to get wood for, well, as long as I can remember. I don't even have a wood burning stove, but I love to go get wood. It's just so exciting every time they cut a tree down. Then we form a 'fire brigade' line to pass the wood up to the trucks and trailer to be loaded and stacked. If you are old enough to walk you are big enough to help. Even the tiniest ones helped load. We had an extra special trip this year. All of my sister's families, my parents, my grandparents, one of my aunts, one of my cousins and her boys, and even a few friends came. My parents were really excited to have all their kids and all 16 grandkids together at the same time. We cut about 9 cords of wood in one day. A cord of wood is 4'x4'x8'. Trust me, that's a lot of wood! After we were done with all the wood Brian and I, and our friend Mallory decided to take any of the kids, who wanted to go, geocaching. We found 3 caches. One of those caches has been there for 8 years. It's the second oldest cache in Utah. The amazing part of this caching trip is that the total number of kids who chose to go was 22. So we loaded 22 kids and 3 adults into my pickup truck and headed out. The kids were so good. We had a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment