Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cataract Canyon, Colorado River, UT



After waiting 15 years I have finally been able to do the Cataract Canyon river trip on the Colorado River in Southern Utah. It was so fun! Thanks to our good friend Mallory Herring(who stayed at our house and watched all 5 kids) both Brian and I were able to go on the trip. We left Wednesday and came back late Saturday night. This was Brian's first time rowing what is called a Flyer Cat. It is a metal frame with two inflatable pontoons. One on each side. This was also his first time rowing through all of the rapids in Cataract Canyon. This video is of Brian rowing through Big Drop 3. It is the most dangerous and technical of all the rapids on this run. At the top of the rapid Brian's oar came out of the oar lock. He figured that was the end of his life. Somehow he came through the rapid perfectly. More perfectly, in fact, than all the seasoned river runners. All with one oar! This is the only rapid I didn't ride with Brian. I rode down earlier with my parents. When I went through my dad hit a HUGE rock. My mom has lots of bruises from the experience. We don't know how she was able to stay on the boat. The force of the impact should have knocked her off, but she was able to hang on. We went down just over 100 miles of river. The scenery is overwhelmingly beautiful. I took lots of pictures and none of them really came out bad!

1 comment:

  1. I love this river!!!! Its a ton of fun. I just need to get Jake on it now. I think he would love it.

    Way to go Brian! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete