Sunday, October 4, 2009

Learning to Can



I remember so well, when I was about their ages, being in my grandma's kitchen. I remember canning peaches, pears, tomatoes, apples, green beans, deer meat, chili, salsa, and more! I have found that since I have become a mom myself I kind of like to do a little canning on my own too. Only now I have helpers! We had a bunch of apples. It was time to do something with them before the went to waste. So, I got the food mill out and boiled down the apples. Tyler's job was to make sure the apples fed down into the food mill. Carter had to turn the handle to grind the apples. Lauren used a spatula to scrape the sauce down into the pan. Then Spencer filled the jars. I thought of my grandma and my mom a lot this evening. Amidst all the sentimental thoughts, I felt like my grandma would be very happy to see her great-grandchildren learning a family tradition. I am very grateful to my mother for letting us do jobs in the kitchen when we were young so that we would have an appreciation for canning.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow Stace, I am super impressed... not because you are canning, but because you let your children into the kitchen with you while you canned... and let them help!!! That in itself it amazing! Grandma would be very impressed with you, I am sure she is. Bryson helped me do tomatoes this week too, and I just have to bite my tongue and smile and let him learn... then clean up his mess after he leaves the room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I really need to teach my kids all the hard work that goes into preparing good food. Maybe they would appreciate the fact that I make dinner? Probably not! ;)

    Way to go! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha- this makes me remember our attempts at food preservation when we lived in Cedar, and I seem to remember something about a missing flat of raspberries...
    Way to go, Super Mom!! I'm glad I wasn't there to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Stace,
    You are either an exceptionally good mom or you are just plain CRAZY! I too, spent the weekend canning, but my kids were allowed to help very minimally. I think of Grandma every single time I can. She gave me quite a few of her jars when I was living in Santaquin and I always wonder which ones were hers. I always seem to miss her more about this time of year and then especially through Christmas. Way to go, you're a better woman than me....maybe someday I'll be patient enough to have helpers, but I bet it won't be this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like canning too! We got done canning some pears last month. Next year i hope to can alot more.

    ReplyDelete